Friday, January 23, 2009

GETTING READY FOR GUESTS


I have been working in my guest room/office/storage room/etc room today, making it ready for guests. Joey, Angie, and the girls, Shelby and Maddie are driving home from Ft. Campbell, where Joey, my son-in-law, is stationed.

The bed was covered with papers, files, and other assorted things we had not yet gone through from our recent move to this apartment. I found all sorts of neat things. In fact I probably would have finished the job earlier if I had not stopped so many times to check out things I hadn’t seen in a while.

Anyway, I got to thinking about how we can get in gear when we know we have company coming. We want to be ready for them. We want the apartment to be ready and of course a clean organized room where they will be sleeping.

In my mind I got to thinking about another visitor that will soon be coming. He is not just your ordinary visitor. He is really more than a visitor. He is the Landlord. No, not the earthly landlord, but the heavenly one. You know by now that I am speaking of the Lord Jesus Christ, who said He was coming back. He told us to be ready for His coming.

Notice what the Scripture says in 1 Thess 4:16 The Lord himself will come down from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. And those who have died believing in Christ will rise first.17 After that, we who are still alive will be gathered up with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And we will be with the Lord forever.18 So encourage each other with these words. (New Century Translation)

To be ready is more than being saved, but being ready by having our lives cleaned out, and organized according to a Biblical priority. We do not want to be embarrassed when he comes.

By The Way there is something else that I have realized from all this preparation for visitors. To get things ready, and get things in their right place is good for the guests when they arrive. But, you know, having things clean and straightened makes life more enjoyable while we wait for the guests to arrive. It lowers ones anxiety level to go into a room that is clean, straight, and ready for occupants. I think the same is true of our preparation for our Lords return. We will have a better time and greater joy if we have things ready even though His return may be a while.

Happy preparing!

BLOGTHOT: IT IS GREAT TO GET READY, BUT BETTER TO STAY READY

3 comments:

Jim said...

Broco,
Great thots! I know you're glad the kids are a'comin'. When are they to be here and how long?

On your analogy, another application occured to me. Many people think they have to straighten out their lives before inviting Jesus to come into their lives, when in actual fact what He wants is to be invited in to do the cleaning Himself. Then keeping it under His watchful control while we wait for that final day will insure its readiness and order.

Thanks, Broco, for your insights and blogs. Keep them up.
In Him, Jim

Anonymous said...

I would love to visit them as well. How long?

Ozark yankee said...

Tell Maddie Ms Barbi says Hi. She is the one of the sweetest sparkies I've ever worked with.