Monday, January 12, 2009

TRAVELING IN MY BUICK

I really love my ’98 Buick Le sabre. I have had it in the garage for repairs for about a week and have missed being able to drive it. During that time I have had to drive Marie’s 2001 Ford Explorer. She loves her car also. But not having my car for a while got me to thinking. Is it more important to have a place to go, or is it more important just to be able to go… anywhere?
When the price of gas went up we did cut back on our travel. When it started coming down I got the driving fever again. I have come to the conclusion that I just like going. I can decide where to go after I take off. You know, that is not the smartest thing to do. Now understand, there is nothing wrong with just driving around for the sheer pleasure of it, but it can become a waste of time and high priced gas.

By the way, it occured to me that there are a lot of people who live their lives that way. They are always going, but are not sure of their ultimate destination. We live in a "going" world. We can go faster than any generation before us, but I am afraid that we have less understanding of where we are going, why we are going, and how to get anywhere in particular.

Every nation and culture has had a sense of history. But all major cultures except the Hebrew people viewed history as cyclical. It went in circles and was always repeating itself. The Bible was written from the viewpoint of linear history. There was a beginning and we are traveling toward a grand climax. Someone has said, “If you do not know where you are going, any place will do.” History in general is His-story. Our personal history, our travel through this life, should also be His-story.

We should really enjoy this journey through life, but one thing that makes the trip so enjoyable is knowing our ultimate destination. And we can know our ultimate destination if we are personally acquainted with the travel planner, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Many of those around us do not know that they can know for sure what their ultimate destination is. We need to tell them about heaven, how to get there, and how to enjoy the trip.

Over and over Jesus said to those who would listen, “follow me.”

In John 14 Jesus said “4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”

HAPPY TRAVELING
BLOGTHOT: IT'S GREAT TO TRAVEL BUT EVEN BETTER TO KNOW YOUR ULTIMATE DESTINATION

1 comment:

Ozark yankee said...

Vic agrees he is always ready to hop in the old car and go somewhere, anywhere. He says don't be surprised if he gives you a call in the Spring to head toward the pig trail. Love Ya
Vic and Barbi