Tuesday, July 3, 2012

STOP STICKING YOUR NOSE WHERE IT DOES NOT BELONG

Many of the Edward's men have a gene that gives them a prominent nose.  Not as prominent as the caricature you see here but never the less ... shall we say, dominant.  I prefer to call it a "Roman nose."  That seems to me a much more elegant title. 

That leads me to an incident that happened when I was but a young lad.  I seem to remember running, for no particular reason, just running, and as I headed east from the house I briefly forgot about the fence that separated the yard from the garden.  I was just tall enough that the bridge of my nose touched the top barbed wire that help make up the fence.  I hit it going full tilt.  I have a scar to this day across the bridge of my nose from that little incident.  It could have been my eyes, or my mouth (it is rather prominent as well), but it was my nose.  Score one for a prominent schnoz!

Now I am not 100% certain, but I think the origin of the phrase, "Don't stick your nose where it does not belong,"  must have come from "man's best friend," the dog.  With their keen sense of smell, they use their nose to poke around, and sniff to find out things; where is the food, where have other dogs been, where is my potty place, etc. etc. Add-nausium.

In a metaphorical way we often do the same thing.  We ask questions we should not ask.  We look for hidden meaning in someone's response.  We are often "Obsessive social private eyes."  We would be much happier and healthier, if we did not get into matters that does not really concern us.  Curiosity may have killed the cat (there I go again ... can't seem to help it,) but it can put a great deal of hurt on us.  Just don't stick your nose where it does not belong.  There is an apropos scripture for this subject.

Gal 6:3 If anyone thinks he is important when he really is not, he is only fooling himself.4 Each person should judge his own actions and not compare himself with others. Then he can be proud for what he himself has done.5 Each person must be responsible for himself.

To turn another phrase, one of my teachers used to say, "You have a full time job cleaning up around your on back door, to start trying to clean up around some body Else's. 

There is one more scripture, to use just one more expressive phrase, that "hits the nail on the head:"
Matthew 7:5 You hypocrite! First, take the wood out of your own eye. Then you will see clearly to take the dust out of your friend's eye.

THOT:GET YOUR NOSE OUT OF OTHER FOLKS BUSINESS



2 comments:

Angie said...

I'd call it distinguished - for a man. But as a woman, I'm proud to have mom's nose!
Great lesson, Paddy.

Janet said...

If it's on purpose that is different than when you run smack-dab right into it and it's shoved right into your face. I like what you said; very good.