Saturday, July 18, 2009

MONSTERS IN THE DARK


When I was a young boy growing up on the farm I was not unlike most boys, I was afraid of the dark. I have discovered since those days that it is not only children that are afraid of the dark, grow-ups are too.

Sometimes dad would ask me to go to the barn lot after dark to make sure the gates into the barn were closed. After I had gotten a little older, I could carefully, yet nervously, make my way to the barn lot if I had a strong flashlight. While I was younger, I was too afraid to go, and so dad would go with me. Sometimes he would not even have a flashlight, but would depend on the light of the moon. I discovered that as long as dad had hold of my hand I was not afraid. If he turned loose, fear would begin to flood into me.

By The Way, later in life as I reflected on those times I realized that I was not really afraid of the dark, nor was I afraid of those unseen monsters that might be lurking around every corner. What I was really afraid of was being alone. As long as I had the right person with me I could face anything, monsters and all.

It is the same for all of us during every season of life. All of us have a darkness we may be called upon to penetrate, and monsters we may have to face. But what we really fear is facing the darkness and the monsters all alone.

Your darkness may be failing health, or lose of a friend or loved one. Your monster may be financial problems, family problems, or wayward children. You may be afraid as you think about dying. What you really fear is facing those things alone.

What I learned as a boy was that I had an earthly father that I knew was sufficient to take me anywhere I had to go and face anything I had to face. What I know now is that I have a heavenly father that is committed to being with us 24/7. Now, He must be “your” father, and He will be if you have received His son, the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord.

As a child of God we have His promise in Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be satisfied with what you have. God has said,
"I will never leave you;
I will never abandon you." — Deuteronomy 31:6
6 So we can be sure when we say,
"I will not be afraid, because the Lord is my helper.
People can't do anything to me." — Psalm 118:6(New Century version)

BLOGTHOT: YOU NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE DARKNESS WHEN THE LIGHT OF WORLD IS BY YOUR SIDE

No comments: