Thursday, January 21, 2010

DO YOU REALLY LOVE THE LORD?

I remember going to youth and children’s camps throughout my ministry. Invariably some leader would get before the group, and ask, “How many of you love the Lord? If you love the Lord, shout Amen!” I have asked the question myself in front of youth and children’s groups. The truth is, we don’t show our love for Christ by how loudly we shout.

By the way, I know someone who proclaims their love for their mate, but it seems to always be a demonstration for others to see. A kiss, a hug, a word is given, but it is more for public consumption than a genuine expression toward the one they say they love. Love is expressed to God in your intimate time with Him, your service for Him, your attitude toward others, and a genuine sense of total dependence on The Lord and a willing to follow where he is leading.

I have included a quote from Oswald Chambers taken from his devotional book, My Utmost for His Highest. This seemed so apropos to our subject.

“God is saying to His people, "You are not in love with Me now, but I remember a time when you were. He says, ‘I remember . . . the love of your betrothal . . .’ (Jeremiah 2:2) Am I as filled to overflowing with love for Jesus Christ as I was in the beginning, when I went out of my way to prove my devotion to Him? Does He ever find me pondering the time when I cared only for Him? Is that where I am now, or have I chosen man’s wisdom over true love for Him? Am I so in love with Him that I take no thought for where He might lead me? Or am I watching to see how much respect I get as I measure how much service I should give Him?”

My prayer for you and myself is reflected in some of the lyrics of a song by Bill Gaither, “The longer I serve Him, the sweeter He grows. The more that Love Him more love He bestows. Each day is like Heaven, my heart overflows. The longer I serve Him the sweeter He grows.”

THOT: IF YOU LOVE CHRIST LESS TODAY THAN YOU DID YESTERDAY, YOU ARE GOING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION

1 comment:

Jim said...

Bro. Ray,
Good words of challenge. Indeed, our love should be a moment by moment dependence and expression of passion for He Who is to have our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength!

Jim-Dad