Thursday, January 21, 2010

WALKING AND PRAYING MY WAY TO ISRAEL

It has been said, "the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." I have known for some time that I needed more self-discipline in the area of my temple and my devotional time with the Lord. I will be going to Israel the first two weeks in March. It is the trip of a life-time. I want to be both physically and spiritually ready. Bro. Royce, our Director of Missions, along with five other pastors will be traveling together. My Broco, Dr. James Bryant, will be going with us. It will be the first trip to Israel for most of us.

Well, today I walked 30 minutes in our hometown mall. And I worked out with the weight machine for about 30 minutes. Our apartment complex has a weight room. Not many use it, so I had it to myself today. I cut back on the size of my food portions

By the Way, I have rediscovered something I already knew. The key to discipline in any thing is 95% mental. The Scripture says in 2 Cor. 10:4 We fight with weapons that are different from those the world uses. Our weapons have power from God that can destroy the enemy's strong places. We destroy people's arguments5 and every proud thing that raises itself against the knowledge of God. We capture every thought and make it give up and obey Christ.6 We are ready to punish anyone there who does not obey, but first we want you to obey fully.

You talk about a battle! My body sends certain signals to my brain, and my brain thinks of all kinds of reasons I do not need to do this. The food thing seems to be more difficult for me than the physical exercise or the spiritual time with the Lord. I cannot watch TV without seeing a myriad of advertisements about "foooooood." I must refocus. I drive through town, and there are the billboards advertising "eeeeating" places. I must refocus. Big signs at restaurants are just begging me to stop. I must refocus. I am determined to not be defeated by a thought.

Paul says in Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. When the thought comes my way to give in to the temptations I must Refuse the thought, Redirect my attention to something wholesome, or holy. And I must Replace the thought with a promise of God. Finally I must pray through the experience and not let that thought land on the runway of the airfield of my mind.

I must stay busy, not just minding my own business, but minding God's business. I must not pray FOR victory, but pray FROM victory. I am already an over comer.

What kinds of thoughts lead to your defeats? Do not make a resolution, or promise to start tomorrow. Just START.

THOT: TOMORROWS VICTORIES NEVER COME, THEY ARE ALWAYS IN THE PRESENT.


1 comment:

Jim said...

Bro. Ray,
I'm with you, Broco! We live in a world that casts a new "subliminal" message every few moments - to try and capture our focus. And they are experienced in how to "dress.it.up" so that it is hard to resist. We become so "focused" on trying to experience some new "taste pleasure" that literally, "we live to eat rather than eat to live!"

I, too, am refocusing and I appreciate your challenge in this blog.

This Israel Trip has all of the earmarks of a landmark adventure, both in its accomplished purpose and in its active preparation.

Jim-Dad